- Some common problems and solutions you might encounter while using FriendFeed.
- I got a red exclamation point while trying to do something.
Sorry, there was a problem on the server.
Some common causes are:
- The entry you are commenting, liking, expanding, etc has been deleted
- You have been logged out from another window
- There is a problem with your connection
- You have installed a Greasemonkey script or add-on that's causing problems
Please refresh and try again. If you continue to have problems, please submit a bug.
- I can't sign in to FriendFeed using my email address.
FriendFeed requires you to verify the email address you used to sign up. Assuming the email you typed in during sign-up was correct, you can look for an email from FriendFeed asking to verify your email address (sometimes these messages accidentally end up in spam folders). You can click a verification link from that email message, and you should be able to sign in using that email from now on.
You can also always sign in using your FriendFeed nickname (if this user's FriendFeed URL were http://friendfeed.com/caitlinroran, her nickname would be "caitlinroran"). Once signed in, go to the "Account" page and follow the steps to verify your email address.
- My posts from another service aren't showing up in my FriendFeed. What's wrong?
Sometimes, certain services are slow to update. In particular, del.icio.us bookmarks have taken awhile to update because our crawler is throttled by them due to our higher traffic. Other times, the service itself might be down.
Usually, the best thing to do is to manually update your feeds:
- Click on the "Me" link on the left side of the page
- Click "Edit/add services" tab
- Select the blog or service that's not updating from the list under "Your shared sites"
- Click the "Refresh feed" link
You can also try removing and re-adding a blog or service by clicking on "Remove account" and then following the steps for adding a service to FriendFeed.
- I am having trouble adding a particular service. It keeps saying "We could not find the given account."
First, make sure you have activity in the service you're trying to add. Users will see that error message if they try to add an empty feed. You should also make sure to check your profile on that specific service, in case it's set to "private" or something similar.
If you're experiencing this problem with Amazon wishlists, you may want to double-check that the email address you're using is actually the one associated with your wishlist. Visit the Amazon Wishlist page and make sure your wishlist shows up when doing a search using that email address.
If you're experiencing this problem with Flickr, make sure that your Flickr privacy settings are not set to hide your photos from third party sites. If you need to change this setting:
- Click on "Your Account" from the "You" tab on the top of Flickr
- Click on the "Privacy & Permissions" tab
- Click on the "edit" link next to "Hide your profile from public searches"
- Make sure that the box next to "Hide your photostream from searches on 3rd party sites that use the API?" is unchecked
Sometimes, there are also duplicated names on Flickr due to the Yahoo integration, which means that your username may not be what shows up at the end of your photostream URL. Alternatively, you may want to try using your display name or the email address associated with your Flickr account.
- The bookmarklet is not showing the list of rooms I'm subscribed to.
First, make sure you are signed into FriendFeed. If you see your name at the top of this page, you are. If not, go sign in and try again.
If you're signed in, you may have third party cookies disabled, which are necessary for the FriendFeed bookmarklet to retrieve your list of rooms. To enable them in Firefox:
- Click on "Preferences" in the "Edit" menu.
- Click on the "Privacy" tab
- Make sure "Accept third-party-cookies" is checked:
If the rooms continue to not show up, you may wish to try signing out or deleting your cookies, and then logging back in.
- How do I embed my FriendFeed into my blog?
- How do I delete some of my entries?
- How do I hide some items?
- How can I turn off the "Friend of friend" entries?
- Can I add any RSS feed to FriendFeed?