According to the FriendFeed Beta FAQ, the FriendFeed Beta will out of beta before Gmail does.
Can anyone use the beta site right now?
When will this go out of beta?
They are putting this redesign on the beta site in order to gather your feedback and make improvements and fixes. They plan to switch the new design over to http://friendfeed.com as soon as they can. You can help them make it better before they do with your suggestions and your bug reports. And They are pretty sure we’ll come out of beta before Gmail does.
The goal of this redesign was to simplify the FriendFeed experience and put greater focus on the things that users have found to be most valuable. Here are some things that you'll find in the new site located at FriendFeed Beta:
- Everything in FriendFeed is now in real-time. There’s no need for refreshing, and no longer a separate view for real-time entries.
- Pictures! All the entries, no matter where they originated from, now have a consistent look, to help you focus on what your friends are sharing.
- You can now send and receive direct messages. There’s even a new message indicator when you have new direct messages.
- Rooms are now treated the same as individual users—they’re all feeds that you can subscribe to.
- You can post entries to multiple feeds directly from the box at the top of your feed.
- There are filters and saved search filters so you don’t miss a post from a certain friend or an entry about a specific topic.
- And keyboard shortcuts for the most common commands!
see also FriendFeed 2.0 in a nutshell